- Use ordered pairs to plot points on a coordinate plane.
- Understand attributes of 2-dimensional shapes belong to a category and to all subcategories.
- Classify 2-dimensional shapes in a hierarchy based on attributes.
||Place Value and Decimal Computation
(September - October)
- Recognize 10x and 1/10 relationships of place value.
- Explain patterns in the number of zeros of the product when multiplying a number by powers of 10.
- Understand the placement of a decimal when multiplied and divided by a power of 10.
- Use exponents to denote powers of 10.
- Read, write, and compare decimals to thousandths.
- Round deimals to any place.
- Add and subtract decimalsto hundredths.
- Convert standard mesurement units within a given measurement system.
- Use parentheses, brackets, or braces in numerical expressions and evaluate expressions with these symbols.
||Whole Number Multiplication and Volume
(November - December)
- Recognize volume as an attribute of solid figures.
- Understand concepts of volume.
- Measure volumes by counting unit cubes.
- Relate volume to the operations of multiplication and addition.
- Find the volume of right rectangular prisms with whole number side lengths.
- Apply the formula to calculate area.
- Recognize that area is additive and can be composed of multiple non-overlapping solid figures.
- Multiply multi-digit numbers using the standard algorithm (3-digit by 2-digit).
||Whole Number Division
- Find whole number quotients of whole numbers withup to 4-digit dividends and 2-digit divisors using strategies based on place value, properties of operations, and the relationship between multiplication and division.
- Explain the calulations using equations, arrays, and area models.
- Convert among different sized measurement units within a given measurement system.
||Addition and Subtraction of Fractions
- Add and subtract fractions with unlike denominators, including mixed numbers.
- Solve word problems involving addiion and subraction of fractions referring to the same whole.
- Use benchmark fractions and number sense of fractions to estimate reasonabeness of answers.
- Make a line plot to display a data set of measurements in fractions of a unit.
||Multiplying and Dividing Fractions
- Interpret a fraction as division of the numerator by denominator.
- Multiply a fraction or a whole number by a fraction.
- Find the area of a rectangle with fractional side lengths by tiling it with unit squares adn show that the area is the same as by multiplying the side lenghts.
- Compare the size of a product to the size of one factor on the basis o fhte size of the other factore, without multiplying.
- Explain why multiplying a given number by a fraction greater than 1 results in a product greater than the given number and if multiplying by a fraction less than 1 results in a product less than the given factor.
- Divide unit fractions by whole numbers and whole numbers by unit fractions.
||Multiplying and Dividing Decimals
(March - April)
- Multiply and divide decimals to hundredths using models and strategies based in place value.
||Algebraic Thinking and Coordinate Planes
(April - May)
- Write simple expressions that record calculations with numbers, and interpret numerical expressions without solving them.
- Generate 2 numerical patterns using two given rules.
- Identify relationships between corresponding terms.
- Form ordered pairs consisting of corresponding terms from two patterns, and graph the ordered pairs on a coordinate plane.
- Use a pair of perpendicular number lines, called axes, to define a coordinate system.
- Represent mathemaical problems by graphing points in the first quadrant of the coordinate plane, and interpret coordinate values of points in the context of the situation.
||Division Algorithm and Application of Standards
- Fluenty multiply multi-digit whole numbers using the standard algorithm (4-digit by 3-digit)
- Find whole number quotient of whole numbers with up to 4-digit dividends and 2-digit divisors using strategies based on place value and properties of operations.
- Fluently divide multi-digit numbers using the standard algorithm, (6.NS.2)